Liferay is java based portal technology and it is open source. I will give some tips and topics from which you will get some idea and interest to start liferay.
- We need have basic understand in fundamentals and core principles of java programming language.
- We need to have good understating about web and its related technologies.
- Don’t jump into direct programming and development instead of that understands the concepts and its use.
- Join liferay forums and other forum discussions so that you can interact with many experts and their answers.
- Explore Liferay Portal Source code.
- Execute sample examples, explore source code and its features it’s not only for Liferay other examples in java too.
- Don’t be feel pressure when you learn Liferay and initially it need minimum time to understand so don’t be scare or don’t give up in the middle of learning.
- Read all Liferay Guides like Liferay User Guide, Administration Guide and Developer guide.
- Read Liferay Wikis and there are many experts’ wikis are available.
- Read Liferay Experts Blogs Posts and Try to write blogs posts from your side.
- Daily spend minimum 30min time to explore and find new things in related technologies so that you can update your knowledge regularly.
- Object oriented principles
- JDK and Its API classes
- HTML DOM
- Java Script (jQuery, AUI and YUI)
RDBMS Databases and Its languages
- Oracle Database
- SQL Language
- Web servers (Apache Web server)
- Application Servers (Tomcat, JBoss Application Server, GlassFish Server and Jetty)
MVC Based Frameworks
- Basics about Portal technology
- Difference between Portlet technology and Servlet Technology
- Portlet Specification (JSR 168&286)
- Servlet containers and Portlet Containers
- Portlet Lifecycles and Its execution Flow.
- Develop sample JSR 168&286 standard Portlet
- Understanding about Generic Portlet
- Liferay Portal Basic Introduction
- Liferay Portal Installation
- Portlet Development Environment.
- Liferay MVC Portlet Development
- Liferay Service Builder
- Liferay Custom SQL and Dynamic Query API
- Liferay Portlet Preferences
- Inter Portlet Communication (IPC)
- Liferay Hooks
- Liferay Themes
- Liferay Exts
- Liferay Layouts
- Liferay webs
- Liferay IDE
We have many things in liferay you can follow the liferay developer guide which consist more topics.